Friday, August 9, 2013

Retrospective: Birchbox September 2012

See my first Retrospective for the answers to the quiz that I used.

September 2012: Month 7

Birchbox and Color Club Custom Collection in Tweet Me
Photo from Birchbox

Ugh.  Not only is this a gross chartreuse creme, it is another Color Club polish.  Like all the other polishes I have by this brand it is streaky, chips fast, and needs at least 3 coats.

Full size 0.5 oz for $8, this 0.25 oz sample is $4.



Jouer Matte Moisture Tint in Linen
Photo from Birchbox

Jouer makes a great product, and this is no exception.  I like the matte moisture tint even more than the Luminizing version I received in the March 2013 box.  It has great coverage and isn't too heavy.  This matte version keeps you shine-free all day.  Linen was a little warm for my skin tone, I think Porcelain would have been better.

Full size $38 for 50 mL.  Sample size of 2 mL valued at $1.52




kate spade new york Twirl
Photo from Birchbox
Perfume sample overload! This was before BB added more options into their profile, including the glorious "please don't send me perfume samples more than 6 times a year."  I don't like this one as much as some of the other samples I've gotten.  I did wear it about a week ago and it lasted all day and while it wasn't unpleasant, I did not like the whiffs of it I got throughout the day.  I'll stick to my kate spade handbags, thank you ;)

Full size $80 for 100 mL.  Sample (1.5 mL) value $1.20


LA FRESH Eco Beauty Acetone-Free Nail Polish Remover Wipes
Photo from Birchbox

I've written about my hatred for these before.  I'm not getting worked up about them again.

$9.99 for 20 packets.  Value of 1 worthless packet $0.50




Mighty Leaf Tea in Green Tea Tropical, Chamomile Citrus, and Vanilla Bean
Photo from Birchbox

Green Tea Tropical is seriously my very favorite tea of all time.  I am so glad BB sent these samples to me!  I am also glad that the little coffee shop at the top of campus stocks this brand, so I can have green tea tropical all winter long.  It tastes a lot like Panera's iced green tea, except hot. Delicious.

$9.95 for 15 pouches.  Value of 3 pouches $1.99.  I should just buy these and make my own damn tea.  That wouldn't give me the excuse to leave my office, though...


Vasanti Brighten Up! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator
Photo from Birchbox

I liked this scrub.  It was not gentle, but not like I was rubbing my face in a sandbox.  It also has lasted me up until now, about a year, of using it 1-2 times per month, and I still have a couple uses left.  It doesn't take much!  Nice.  Now I have to hope I get sent another face scrub so I don't go out and buy the full size when I run out!  

$34 for 120 grams, making the 20 gram sample worth $5.67



Total Value $14.88.

This was a mixed bag.  What was good was very, very good, and what was bad was horrid.  Oh well.  I'll give the polish to a friend to paint his fishing lures.  Maybe they will like it more than I do!





Birchbox costs $10/month, including shipping and sends you a box of 4-6 samples and sometimes full-sized products.  You can review the products you receive for 10 Birchbox points each.  For every $1 you spend in the BB shop, you also receive 1 BB point.  For every 100 BB points you accumulate, you get $10 to spend in their shop.  If you would like to sign up, my link is here and I will earn 50 BB points at the end of your first month.

This post contains products I purchased with my own money.  No compensation was received for this post and all opinions are my own.  This post contains a referral link, see above for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment