Saturday, August 3, 2013

Retrospective: Birchbox March 2012



Without any subscription boxes coming in, and with me being too lazy to get off my butt and look though my cabinet to pick something to write a review about, I figured I would go through all my past Birchboxes and do a retrospective review of the products.

Here is what my profile looks like (and has always looked like):

My level of beauty knowledge is: Dedicated enthusiast: I love learning and exploring

I can never have too many: Haircare products, makeup products, nail polishes

For me, fragrance samples are: Not my favorite- please send me no more than 6 fragrance samples per year

I'd love to see more of these types of extras in my Birchbox: Organic and natural products, small acessories 

I am signing up for Birchbox because: I want samples, samples, samples!; I'm looking to experiment and change my beauty routine

My beauty style is: Classic- I err on the side of traditional, think Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn; Low-maintenance- I tend to be pretty natural and don't spend much time getting ready

My hair is: Curly, dry, too short for a ponytail

My hair is closest to: Blonde

I do the following to my hair: Color treat, curl with a curling iron, straighten with a flat iron, always let it air dry- why mess with nature?

My ethnicity is: White or caucasian

My skin tone is: Fair

My complexion is best described as: Normal

I am most concerned about: Cellulite, hyper-pigmentation or dark spots, sun protection

My day of birth is: 1987

Birchbox has you fill out this profile, and whether or not they take it into consideration when they send products is another thing all together.

March 2012
This was my first month with Birchbox, and I didn't really know what to expect.  I ended up with two products that are still in my top 5.

Color Club Classic Nail Polish in He Loves Me (left)
Photo from Birchbox

I hate color club polish and this one started it.  It's a pretty color, but it's streaky as all get-out, chips easily, and needs 3 coats.  Ugh.  For $8, I'll buy Essie or OPI.

Full size $8 for 0.5 fl.oz. (save your money), 0.25fl.oz. sample value $4

Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint in Golden
Photo from Birchbox
 This was great.  I used up the sample and wished that it was bigger, or that I had enough money for the full thing.  I just wish that I had gotten "Pearl", the lightest shade- of which I ended up receiving a deluxe sample size in another subscription service.  "Golden" would be fine for me in the summer, but not in March when I'm translucent.

Full size $38 for 50 mL. Sample value (I think it was 2 mL?) $1.52


Orofluido Elixir aka Mystical Hair Potion of the Gods
Photo from Birchbox
 See my link to the top 5 for my review of this.  It's awesome.  It makes you hair look and smell awesome.  I love it.  You will love it.  End of story.

Full size $29.99 for 100 mL.  Sample size 5 mL (I believe), value $1.50
Stila Smoky Eye Shadow Trio
Photo from Birchbox
 This came on a cardboard postcard and was the dinky little plastic-covered sample pressed onto the paper backing.  Not a little mini version or anything, just the stuff you get sent to you in magazine inserts sometimes.  I was able to swipe them on my hand and that's it.  Not very useful if I can't create a look with it!

Full size, $49 for 0.9 oz (all three).  Sample value $0.
Harvey Prince Ageless, the perfume that converted me into a perfume-wearer
Photo from Birchbox

Again, see my top 5 for a review of this.  It smells unlike any other perfume I've ever smelled and I love it.  It's just... me.

$98.00 for 100 mL.  Sample value (assuming it was a standard 1.5 mL), $1.47
Tea Forte Skin Smart Teas in Cherry Marzipan, Honey Yuzu, and Cucumber Mint
Photo from Birchbox

Birchbox included one of each of their flavors, and I found that I really liked them all.  I don't like herbal teas, but these were more fruity than anything.  The honey yuzu (which is a kind of citrus) was my favorite, with the cherry marzipan (almond) close behind.

Full size $6 for 16 bags.  Value of 3 bags is $1.12.


Total Value $9.61

This is less than the $10 I paid, but with the 60 points from the 6 reviews, which equates to $6 to spend in the Birchbox shop, it worked out.  Considering how much I loved the perfume and Orofluido, it remains one of my favorite boxes to date.  Isn't that the point of a subscription box service? To find things you love and can't live without? I think so, and I think Birchbox and I got off to a great start!



Birchbox costs $10/month, including shipping and sends you a box of 4-6 samples and sometimes full-sized products.  You can review the products you receive for 10 Birchbox points each.  For every $1 you spend in the BB shop, you also receive 1 BB point.  For every 100 BB points you accumulate, you get $10 to spend in their shop.  If you would like to sign up, my link is here and I will earn 50 BB points at the end of your first month.

This post contains products I purchased with my own money.  No compensation was received for this post and all opinions are my own.  This post contains a referral link, see above for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment