Friday, August 9, 2013

Birchbox Review August 2013



Birchbox August 2013
Theme: Finishing school in collaboration with Ann Taylor
First look is pretty good! I know a lot of boxes got a ModelCo lipstick in them, but I got one last month. I wish I had gotten a better color of the lipstick, like they were sending out this month, but I don't think BB was about to double up on my samples for the second month in a row.


It's a 10 Miracle Leave-in Product
This is what I'm the most excited about in my box this month! I've seen this in stores and have been tempted, but the price tag always deters me.  This sample is a full 2 fl. oz. and will give me a great idea as to if I like the product or not.  I used some just now and it smells pretty good, but it will have to pass the test on straightened hair for me to decide if I officially like it or not.

Full size $17.99 for 4 fl. oz. online at Target.com.  Sample size is 2 fl. oz. (half the full size!) and worth about $8.99

Whish Coconut Milk Exfoliating Body Wash
I haven't tried this in the shower yet, but it smells vaguely like coconuts and has a runny texture with some sugar crystals in it to exfoliate.  We shall see.  I already have an exfoliating body wash in my shower, but this is a good travel size.

Full size $22 for 180 mL, making the 22 mL sample worth $2.69



Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Beso
This is RED.  So red.  I had about 5 seconds after I applied it to fix any mistakes and evenly distribute it until it dried.  It smells like vanilla.  So far, I'm impressed.  It hasn't come off on my wine glass and it passed the kiss test.  It is quite red though! I don't normally wear bold lip colors, but I know that this one will stay put should I ever need to bring the drama.  I have some brighter red lipsticks, but this is a little darker than anything I have currently.

Full size $22 for 0.1 fl. oz.  Sample size 0.03 fl. oz., worth $6.60.

This is me applying it without a mirror... not bad.


Whish Deodorant Swipe with Hair Inhibitor

Uhh...ok... thanks, Birchbox.  A deodorant wipe is pretty handy, I guess.  I do have to keep deodorant at work because I tend to leave the house without putting any on.  Hair inhibitor? What are they using as a hair inhibitor? What? I'm not sure that one swipe will make a difference....

Full size $16 for 30 wipes.  Value of 1 wipe is $0.53


(MALIN + GOETZ) Vitamin E Face Moisturizer
I've gotten this before in something or another.  Maybe as a Sephora sample? It's ok.  I like that they sent two packets, but I hate that they sent foil packets at all!

Full size $45 for 4 fl. oz.  Two samples total 0.08 fl. oz. for a grand total of $0.90.


Total Value $19.71.

Not bad.  I'm really glad I got the leave in and the lipstick.  Those are good enough to make me ignore the foil packets.  I'll also get $5 in BB points for reviewing the 5 products, and they included a coupon for 20% off one item or 30% off two or more items from Ann Taylor.  Nice.  I'll get some back-to-school stuff so I look good under my lab coat while I'm teaching.  Yeah.  That sounded as dumb here as it did in my head. I'll still get something though ;)



Birchbox costs $10/month, including shipping and sends you a box of 4-6 samples and sometimes full-sized products.  You can review the products you receive for 10 Birchbox points each.  For every $1 you spend in the BB shop, you also receive 1 BB point.  For every 100 BB points you accumulate, you get $10 to spend in their shop.  If you would like to sign up, my link is here and I will earn 50 BB points at the end of your first month.

This post contains products I purchased with my own money.  No compensation was received for this post and all opinions are my own.  This post contains a referral link, see above for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment