Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Retrospective: Birchbox June 2012



See my first Retrospective for the answers to the quiz that I used.

June 2012: Month 4

Comodynes Self-Tanning Intensive Towelette (2)
Photo from Birchbox

To be honest, I still haven't tried these.  I am supa-dupa pale and NEVER tan.  I use sunscreen on my face every day and in the summer I am religious about reapplying sunscreen.  I don't stop at tan, I go through to burn and then fade back to white.  Nothing but white and red for me.  So, I am afraid to try these!  I haven't had much luck with self tanners in the past and always end up streaky or orange or can't reach places like my back.  Maybe some day!

$14.99 for a pack of 8.  I was sent 2 packets, for a value of $3.75




Eyeko Fat Eye Stick in Petrol Blue
Photo from Birchbox

Another full-sized product! This is a nice, vibrant navy color.  I would use it as an eyeliner, but it is not as smudge-proof as my beloved Urban Decay 24/7 liners.  I have a 24/7 in a similar color, but it has some sparkle to it.  If I want something without sparkle and without staying power, this is what I go to.  So.. never.

Full size, $15 for 0.14oz.  I received the full size.



John Varvatos Star USA
Photo from Birchbox
This was an "extra" that was thrown in to promote Birchbox Man's new launch.  They included a sample size of this cologne to give to a "Birchbox man in your life".  I gave it to my boyfriend and it has sat unopened on his dresser ever since.  He doesn't wear cologne and probably will just end up throwing this away when he finds it under the stack of receipts it's currently hiding under.

$55/100 mL full size, sample value (assuming 1.5 mL) is $0.82


Likewise Facial Moisturizer + Sun Protectant SPF 50 for Normal to Oily Skin
Photo from Birchbox

This was more like a sunscreen than a moisturizer, and I used it as such on our trip to Europe.  It was fine and I didn't burn, so it did its job.  That's all I have to say about that.

$44 for 50 mL.  Sample size 5 mL, value $4.40


theBalm Cosmetics Stainiac in Beauty Queen
Photo from Birchbox
This is similar to Benetint, but with more of a gel-like formula.  It can be tricky to apply quickly enough that it doesn't stain in a blob where you put it on your cheek, so I use it as a lip stain.  It's a nice bright magenta.

Full size $17 for 0.3 oz.  Sample size was 0.04 oz for a value of $2.27



tili Bags Small Collection (Quart Size)
Photo from Birchbox

This was just a thicker, printed ziplock bag.  The zippy part broke on mine, so it was no use after that.  It would be cute to use these for flying, to keep all of your liquids, but it seems a little expensive for such poor quality.

Pack of 12 is $8.49.  1 bag has a value of $0.71.



Total Value $26.95


Another full-sized product and another bag way over the $10 I paid for it.  Not bad.  I got some use out of a few things, and did not out of the others, but there was nothing that I hated.



Birchbox costs $10/month, including shipping and sends you a box of 4-6 samples and sometimes full-sized products.  You can review the products you receive for 10 Birchbox points each.  For every $1 you spend in the BB shop, you also receive 1 BB point.  For every 100 BB points you accumulate, you get $10 to spend in their shop.  If you would like to sign up, my link is here and I will earn 50 BB points at the end of your first month.

This post contains products I purchased with my own money.  No compensation was received for this post and all opinions are my own.  This post contains a referral link, see above for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment