Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Retrospective: Birchbox July 2012



See my first Retrospective for the answers to the quiz that I used.

July 2012: Month 5

Ada Cosmetics Bronzer in Bronze Peach
Photo from Birchbox

This is a really nice mineral bronzer for someone as pale as I am.  It has some shimmer in it, and this sample will last me forever.  I actually didn't have a powder bronzer before this, and it was really nice to get to try one out!  I still use this and it doesn't even look like I've made a dent.

Full size $12.45 for 3 grams.  Sample size was about 1 gram? I'm estimating based on how it looks next to some of my bare minerals products.  This one didn't have a size listed.  I'll go with 1g, which gives it a value of $4.15




Birchbox Exclusive Earbuds
Photo from Birchbox

I can never have enough pairs of earbuds, or enough neon, so these were welcome.  I think they are by my bed at the moment, for when my bf is snoring away and I can't sleep. The sound quality on these could be a little better, but I'm certainly not complaining.

These go for $10 on the Birchbox site.


blinc Mascara in Black
Photo from Birchbox
This was the first time I had heard of a tubing mascara.  The mascara basically makes little polymer tubes around your individual eyelashes when you brush it on.  This means it is super waterproof and the only way to take it off is to gently wipe or pull them off in warm water.  The little tubes will look like eyelashes as you pull them off, and you may freak out the first time!  I ended up really loving this product and if I didn't have so many mascaras to try (samples and full sized) I would buy this in a heart beat!  It darkens a little bit, makes your lashes look almost glossy, and is perfect for weddings and sad movies!  They have a new version called "amplified" and it is supposed to be more volumizing than the original.

Full size $26 for 0.3 oz.  Sample size 0.14 oz, valued at $12.13


Harvey Prince Hello
Photo from Birchbox

Since I loved Ageless by the same company so much, I was super excited to try Hello!  Unfortunately, I dropped it on the tile floor in the bathroom and it totally shattered everywhere.  It smelled good, but there was SO MUCH OF IT on the floor that it was a little over-powering :(  Oh well. 

Full size $55 for 50 mL, sample (1.5 mL) value $1.65


Klorane shampoo with Chamomile
Photo from Birchbox
This is supposed to be shampoo for blondies, and says it will help keep your color bright and not brassy.  I couldn't tell from the 4 uses I got out of the bottle if it did that, but I did NOT like the scent.  If it hadn't been the only shampoo I brought on vacation, I would have tossed it after the first use.

Full size $18 for 400 mL.  Sample size was 25 mL, making it worth $1.12

Larabar über in Roasted Nut Roll
Photo from Birchbox
The "extra" in this box was a Larabar über and I received the roasted nut roll flavor.  It was delicious and I don't have any complaints about the occasional food item in my Birchboxes.  Bring them on!

$9 for a 5 count, single bar worth $1.80


Total Value $30.85

Excellent value, useful products, and I loved everything but the shampoo.  Plus, there were 6 items to review, which translates into $6 to spend in the BB shop.



Birchbox costs $10/month, including shipping and sends you a box of 4-6 samples and sometimes full-sized products.  You can review the products you receive for 10 Birchbox points each.  For every $1 you spend in the BB shop, you also receive 1 BB point.  For every 100 BB points you accumulate, you get $10 to spend in their shop.  If you would like to sign up, my link is here and I will earn 50 BB points at the end of your first month.

This post contains products I purchased with my own money.  No compensation was received for this post and all opinions are my own.  This post contains a referral link, see above for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment