Saturday, July 20, 2013

Why I Am No Longer Subscribed to Sample Society




Today's subscription service that I am no longer subscribed to is: 
Beauty Bar Sample Society by Allure

Favorite item: 
Deborah Lippmann 'Private Dancer' Mirrored Chrome Nail Lacquer. (Sample Society August 2012) 

The gloves I knit were the focus of this picture, but it was the only one of me wearing this polish.

At first look it is a rich, royal purple....

...but just look at that duochrome! Glorious!

The label


I love this nail polish so much! I would never spend the money ($19!!!) to buy this myself, but I'm so grateful that it was sent out during one of the months I was subscribed! 


Least Favorite Item:
CellCeuticals Extremely Gentle Cleanser (SS September 2012) 

The most boring facial cleanser EVER


This is ok as a cleanser.  It doesn't really do much for me and it kinda smells bad.  However, I did end up using it to wash my newest tattoo as it was healing.  I needed something very gentle, and this fit the bill.  It's really not that bad as far as the samples I received go, it was just my least favorite out of the 15 items I was sent over the 3 months I was subscribed.  I think I would have liked it more if I had super sensitive skin.  I don't, but if you are reading this and have been looking for the face-wash equivalent of a baby's bottom, this is your product.  It's about as innocuous as you can get! 

What I liked
SS sent out high quality items from luxury brands that other services do not seem to sample.  All of the samples were a great size, and if they were not full-sized, they were certainly big enough to use for a while to get a feel for the product.  A nice variety of products were sent out each month, from hair to skin to makeup, with none of the goofy lifestyle items like pens and laundry detergent.

What I didn't like
The price.  $15 is a little steep to add onto my $20 for BB and Ipsy.  I'm not giving either one of them up, so SS had to go.  I really enjoyed most of the items I received, but I didn't ever buy a full size of them due to the cost, mostly.  $15 off of $50 is nice, but I would still end up paying more than I would want for a full-sized item.  I got 3 months from them and it was worth way more than the $45 I spent, but for now I'm more interested in trendy makeup items than a nice toner or eye cream.  Ipsy and BB stay, SS goes.  If I were 10 years older, I think this would be my favorite box of them all. 


If you would like to try out SS, use code J.C.9102 and $5 will be donated to various charities chosen by Sample Society. (RI residents, among a few other states, can not get the $5 referral credited to their account, so it goes to charity instead.)

This post contains products that were purchased by me through Sample Society.  All opinions are my own.  This post contains a referral code that will result in $5 being donated to charity whenever anyone uses it to subscribe to SS.

No comments:

Post a Comment