Tuesday, July 16, 2013

My Quest for the Perfect Coral Nail Polish


Spring, summer, fall... even winter... there is not inappropriate time to wear coral nail polish. I've become obsessed with finding the perfect shade. It needs to be bright, not dull, and shiny, but without shimmer. It has to apply easily without streaks and not take forever to dry. Not too pink and not too orange, and not too expensive. This polish has become my white whale. I couldn't rest until I found it. Every time CVS or Rite Aid got a new seasonal polish display I pounced... and usually ended up disappointed. However, I have amassed a collection of every variation on the coral theme, and will now review them in all of their sunset-y glory. I did the hard work, so you don't have to. Sorry for the random polish splotches. 

 My 10 candidates: 
My first 5 Candidates- the darker ones
American Apparel Nail Lacquer in Sunset Blvd. $6 

This is orange.  2 Coats.
Sally Hansen HD Hi-Definition Nail Color in Three D (discontinued color) $8.95 on Amazon

Orange with a flash of pink.  3 coats.

American Apparel Nail Lacquer in Pink Ladies $6

Non-neon bright pink

Wet n Wild Megalast Nail Color in Tropicalia $1.99 (I have an older bottle, not the new re-styled one)

This is pink and streaky and has a terrible brush. 3 coats isn't quite enough here.

Sinful Colors Professional in Boogie Nights $1.99

Orangey jelly.  3 coats.



The second half- the lighter shades

Color Club Professional Nail Lacquer in Reign in Spain $2 (as part of the $8 Wanderlust collection) The winner! Right in the middle of pink and orange, nice and bright; perfect for summer! 2 coats and my love forever.

Yes! This is the best! 2 coats.
eChina Glaze Nail Lacquer in Flip Flop Fantasy $5.99 (new version) I wish my camera could catch how bright this is.
Neon, semi-matte, very bright and a little too pink.  3 coats.


Revlon Scented Nail Enamel in Strawberry Cream $4.99.  The print doesn't stay on this bottle! Smells great for the first day. Super pretty, a hair darker than Alicia, but STREAKY and with a very thin brush.

This is my bargain pick, but it comes with poorer quality than the others. 3 coats.

Julep Nail Vernis in Alicia $14 or $11.20 for mavens They call this a salmon creme. If it wasn't so expensive I would have backups!

Not quite bright enough for summer; Winter pick.  3 coats.

NYC in a Minute Quick Dry Polish in Peach Sparkle (discontinued color) $1.99

Definitely a peach, and sparkly, but a little too light. 3 coats.

All 10 polishes

The lighter 5

The darker 5 compared to Reign in Spain

Almost ombre nails?

No comments:

Post a Comment