Friday, August 30, 2013

Retrospective: Ipsy June 2013



Ipsy April 2013: Month 10; On the Wild Side


Ipsy bag June 2013
Photo from Ipsy

This month's bag was leopard print with a neon green zipper! Unlike the other bags, this one has a zipper across the front instead of across the top of the bag.  I'm not sure I care either way, it's just something new to note.
Cailyn Line-Fix Gel Eyeliner with Brush Built-In in 06 Purple
Photo from Ipsy

This is a very pretty-looking liner.  The brush pops out of the top of the case and can be flipped around and re-inserted so you have a longer handle.  However, this does make it unwieldy to carry around because it's an awkward size and shape.  I wish they had a separate flat top for the liner pot and I could just carry my own eyeliner brush separately.

The color is a rich, dark purple without any of the brightness that can sometimes make purple liners look unprofessional.  This is totally wearable for most occasions.  It goes on smoothly and stays put, which are two very important eyeliner qualities.  I have a few purple liners (both gel and my beloved UD 24/7s) but no color quite this deep.  Due to its uniqueness and quality, I'm keeping it, even if I don't wear gels too often.

Full size $21 for 4g plus brush.


NYX Powder Blush in Spice (Matte Mauve)
Photo from Ipsy

Honestly, I haven't opened this yet.  It's not particularly "summery" and I have so many blushes that I may never even get around to using it.  I'm just not a blush girl.  I wear it every day, and I have two or three I rotate throughout the year, but I don't care enough about it to have a spectrum of blush colors from bubblegum pink to deep red to peach and tangerine and all the colors in between.  I do have a powder blush from NYX that I use to contour and I like it.  It blends well, so I am assuming another shade of the same product will perform similarly.  It's not super-duper pigmented, which makes it very useable.  I hate blushes that are so bright that you can't even touch the bristles of your brush to them without picking up too much.

Full size $5 for 5.2g.


Starlooks Lip Pencil in Bare
Photo from Ipsy
Starlooks is a makeup company that also has their own branded makeup subscription box.  I find it interesting that they would pair with another beauty subscription box... maybe in the hopes of gaining some more subscribers?  If that is the case, they would have done better to provide a different product.  They sent out three colors of these lip liners and from what I can tell, they were the wrong three colors for pretty much everyone.  I haven't even opened the plastic seal around this one yet, because it looks dark and greyish and will almost certainly be the wrong color for me.  I've seen people say the quality is great, but that won't persuade me to try this.  I have 3 or 4 open lip liners already and they cover the colors I need.

Full size $12 (2.4g).


J.cat Sparkling Cream Palette in Volta
Photo from Ipsy
This is in my 5 least favorite Ipsy products post.  I don't feel like talking about it again.

Full size $4.49 for 0.1 oz of product.



Chella Ivory Lace Highlighter Pencil
Photo from Ipsy


This is in my Ipsy Top 5.  I've used this almost exclusively as my go-to highlighter since I got it, and I've only sharpened it once! Sorry to my Benefit High Brow that is sitting neglected at the bottom of my makeup bag.  This is the perfect color for me and the texture is awesome.  It blends so easily, and even can cover up some stray hairs that you have yet to pluck from under your brows ;).  This is the final polishing step to my minimal makeup.  Chella also sells other colors of this product.  It's a little pricey, but seems like it will last long enough to get your money's worth.

Full size $18 (1.4g).

There were some variations in the bags this month.  Everyone got a blush from NYX, but it could have been powder, cream, or mosaic.  The other two potential products were J.cat eyelashes with eyelash glue and Psssst! Dry shampoo.  This would be instead of the highlighter pencil or cailyn eyeliner, I believe.

Total Value $60.49

Wow! That is a great deal for only $10! Every item was full-sized, which is amazing. Even with the dud glitter palette, this was a great bag, and I'm totally happy with it.  Way to go, Ipsy.

Ipsy costs $10/month, including shipping, and sends you a box of 4-6 samples and sometimes full-sized products.  If you would like to sign up, my link is here and I will earn a free item if 2 people sign up with my link.

This post contains products I purchased with my own money.  No compensation was received for this post and all opinions are my own.  This post contains a referral link, see above for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment