Thursday, August 29, 2013

Retrospective: Ipsy May 2013



Ipsy May 2013: Month 9; Spring Fling


Ipsy bag May 2013
Photo from Ipsy

This is a wind-breaker-esque fabric with a blue and orange chevron print.  It's actually pretty cute and I think whoever ends up getting it filled with goodies this Christmas will like it, too.


Juice Beauty Reflecting Gloss in Fig
Photo from Ipsy

Oh, Juice Beauty.  You and I have such a love/hate relationship.  I love some of your products, but hate the smell of most of them.  This is no exception.  I like the texture of this gloss, it is not too thick or thin and is not sticky at all.  I love the shimmer and gloss it gives to my lips, and it has fairly decent staying power for a lip gloss.  I hate the smell/taste and the color looks terrible on me.  It looks brown.  I don't wear brown lip colors for a reason.  They look awful with my pale skin and blonde hair.  Just awful.  I don't have any friends with the right coloring for this, so I'm going to hold onto it for now.  Maybe I'll make a friend down the line who will be able to wear it!

Full size, 8g, $15.  Also available in a set of 4 for $48 ($12/each).

Pacifica Coconut Crushed Pearl Bronzing Body Butter
Photo from Ipsy

I was super excited to see this in my bag! I know a lot of people were disappointed they got a bronzing lotion, but not me.  I'm very pale and plan on staying that way, but I don't want to blind people with my legs when I wear a dress.  Enter bronzing lotion.  I have a few already, but this one is nice and subtle.  It's not too bronzing or too shimmery, plus it smells awesome.  To me, it smells like vanilla and coconut.  To the boys at work it smells like: cupcakes, vanilla frosting, birthday cake, rice crispy treats (yeah, it kinda does, actually), and just all around deliciousness.  They couldn't stop talking about how good I smelled at lunch.  Ladies, take note: wear this and get lots of male attention because you smell like baked goods.

This 2fl.oz. size sells for $7.


Yaby Concealer Refill in Buff
Photo from Ipsy



For once, Ipsy matched my skin tone (closely enough).  There is one shade lighter than this (vanilla), but they say to pick a concealer that is a little darker than your skin tone, right?  This works pretty well on my slight under eye circles, and I haven't tried it on anything else.  Trying to cover up each individual freckle I have seems obnoxiously tedious.  Most days I don't even bother with concealer, but at least now I have one in case I want to use it! I didn't before and had been meaning to pick one up when this arrived.  It'll do.  Plus, it is magnetic and fits into the case they sent in March.

3.5g (20mm pan diameter) $4.85.

Zoya Nailpolish in Piaf (yellow, far right)
Photo from Ipsy

The purple on the far left is called Julie.  I think that if a customer had the name of a polish in this collection, they should have sent it to that person! I would have MUCH rather gotten the purple with my name on it than the ugly yellow that I'll never be able to wear.  Gross.  It's a pretty glass-type glittery finish, which I'm sure is lovely in the other colors.  Oh well.

This was full size, 0.5 fl.oz. $8.





Mirabella Perfecting Powder in Translucent
Photo from Ipsy

This is in my Ipsy top 5.  I have used up about 2/3 of this, and I've used it every day since I got it.  I'll be sad when it runs out! It really does buff into your skin to give a flawless finish.  I love it.  I can't speak highly enough of it.

Full size $30 (4g), this is 1.3g and worth $9.75.


There was a wide variety of products that were sent out this month.  It looks like everyone got a nail polish and a concealer, and three other items.  The other options were: Anastasia mini clear brow gel, Pacifica luminizing body butter, Pacifica Island Vanilla & Tahitian Gardenia Perfume Rollerball, Macadamia Hair Healing Oil Treatment, NUME Finishing Serum, Mirabella Colour Sheers Lipstick, St. Tropez One Night Only Instant Glow Body Lotion, Mirabella Shimmeratti Glimmer Gloss, Mirabella Lip Lustre Liner.

Total Value $44.60 (using $15 for the lip gloss).

There was a decent variety of items included in this bag, and most of them were really great! I do wish the gloss and nail polish were different colors, but I like the lotion and perfecting powder so much that its value far exceeded its $10 price tag for the bag.

Ipsy costs $10/month, including shipping, and sends you a box of 4-6 samples and sometimes full-sized products.  If you would like to sign up, my link is here and I will earn a free item if 2 people sign up with my link.

This post contains products I purchased with my own money.  No compensation was received for this post and all opinions are my own.  This post contains a referral link, see above for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment