Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Retrospective: Birchbox February 2013



See my first Retrospective for the answers to the quiz that I used.


February 2013: Month 12

Color Club Nail Color in Wild Cactus
Photo from Birchbox
I received another bottle of this in a recent pick 2 mystery pack.  Apparently, Pantone decided that emerald green was the "color of the year" of 2013, so BB sent this staining, chipping, streaking monstrosity of a terrible brand of polish out to everyone.  (Obviously, there are exceptions to every rule and "reign in Spain" is the exception to CC's sucky polishes.)

Full size $8 for 0.5 fl. oz.  Sample size is 0.25 fl. oz. for a value of $4.


Ghiardelli Square in Milk and Caramel
Photo form Birchbox

This was the "extra" in this month's BB.  I gave it to my boyfriend since my mom brainwashed me into disliking chocolate while I was still in my formative years.  It's a long, sad story, but the bottom line is that I think that I dislike chocolate and will never eat it.  My boyfriend doesn't mind.  They sent 1 square.

I'm going to estimate the value of 1 square at $0.43.   A bag of these goes for about $4.25, but I'm not sure how many squares are in a bag.  10? 


Dr. Lipp Original Nipple Balm for Lips
Photo from Birchbox

This stuff is great! One of the best lip products there is! I knit, so I know how great lanolin can be, even if it is kinda gross in theory.  However, you can buy pure skin-grade lanolin in a much larger size for much less money on Amazon.  Which is what I plan on doing this winter when this sample runs out.

Full size 15 mL for $14.50, making the 3 mL sample worth $2.90



Skin & Co Bagnodoccia Cleansing Body Gel
Photo from Birchbox

This was some olive oil and orange shower gel that smelled pretty terrible.  It smelled like a fancy hotel room should smell, but I don't like that in a body wash.  It's just my personal preference.  I used this up as fast as I could.

Full size $17.50 for 250 mL.  Sample size was 40 mL for a value of $2.80



twistband Headband in dark green
Photo from Birchbox

I also got a twistband brand headband.  I haven't ever worn it, as I don't wear headbands.  I might just untie the knot and cut it in half to make two hair ties from it.  I use those more frequently than never, so that would be good.

These go for $19 for 6 headbands, making each one $3.17



Total Value $13.30

I wasn't thrilled with this box.  The best item was the Dr. Lipp balm, but that was the only good thing in the box this month.  BB really needs to send other brands of nail polish besides Color Club.


Birchbox costs $10/month, including shipping and sends you a box of 4-6 samples and sometimes full-sized products.  You can review the products you receive for 10 Birchbox points each.  For every $1 you spend in the BB shop, you also receive 1 BB point.  For every 100 BB points you accumulate, you get $10 to spend in their shop.  If you would like to sign up, my link is here and I will earn 50 BB points at the end of your first month.

This post contains products I purchased with my own money.  No compensation was received for this post and all opinions are my own.  This post contains a referral link, see above for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment