Sunday, February 16, 2014

Ipsy February 2014 Review

Ipsy February 2014 Review

Well, the snowpocalypse that has hit most of central and eastern states has really taken its toll on my subscription boxes!  I know that I don't want to be out in the blizzards and ice storms, so I am definitely cutting the USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc people some slack for late deliveries.  The roads have been miserable and my boxes have been late.  That's life!

Ipsy finally showed up (despite yet another snow storm) yesterday.

Ipsy February 2014
This month's theme is "The Look of Love."  If features a carnation pink bag with a pink animal print interior.

Ipsy February 2014

This month, everyone received two staple items and 3 variable ones based on Ipsy Match.  I guess since I liked the last set of fake lashes, they figured they would send me more! Oh well.  I now have a ton of fake lashes.  At least I wear them every now and then.


J.Cat Eyelashes in style EL13
These lashes are made from 100% human hair and come with a little tube of eyelash glue.  There were a number of styles sent out this month, and while I did not get my first choice, I did not get my last choice either!  These will add some volume to my own lashes without looking too crazy.

These sell for $3.99 on the J.cat website.


Jesse's Girl 9 Pan Eyeshadow Compact in The Eyes Have It

As I just spent a ridiculous amount of money on indie eyeshadow samples in a rainbow of colors, I'm a little eyeshadowed out right now!  Ipsy sent subscribers one of four color palettes from Jesse's Girl, and I ended up with the greens and browns (probably because I have green eyes, and told Ipsy that I do in my survey.)


Palette in The Eyes Have It
The colors look really pretty in the palette itself.  There's even a yellow!  Very unusual for any palette, let alone a drugstore brand.


Swatched twice over bare skin with finger
However, these are lacking in quality.  There are a few dark shades that are pigmented, but the brighter, lighter colors barely show up at all.  A good primer and a white base might help them to pop more, but it's not worth the effort to me.  These are hard, have a powdery texture, and are just about what you would expect for paying so little.

These palettes sell for $3.99 at drugstores (they sell this brand at my local Rite-Aid) and on the Jesse's Girl site.


First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Deep Cleanser with Red Clay

I just tried this- the last of my variable items- and it was ok.  I know it says there is red clay in the formula, but I wasn't expecting this gel-formula to be RED.  It's the color of the bottle!  It just surprised me.

The cleanser itself is mediocre, in my opinion.  It left my skin feeling a little tight and dry.  Some face lotion fixed that, but I don't like to strip my skin of all its oils, only to put them back in again.  I'd rather use a more hydrating face wash in the first place!  I have normal skin- it is not dry, it is not oily, and I don't have to worry about blemishes.  If you are on the oily side of the spectrum, this might work better for you, especially after a workout or a hot day.

The sample was 1 oz, and the full size (4.7 oz) is $24 on the First Aid Beauty site.  Sample is worth $5.11.

Next, we have the two items that everyone got, just with color variations.


Pop Beauty Plump Pout Mini in Peony Petal
I have only received Pop beauty products through subscription boxes, and they tend to be hit or miss.  Often, I find the colors and packaging geared toward a much younger audience.  This gloss in Peony Petal (a "pink rose") is something I like more than I expected to.  I did not know that it was supposed to be a plumping gloss until I looked in the mirror.  It works fairly well!  The color is a little bright, but I wear stuff like this from time to time.


Freckle city! Pop Beauty Plump Pout Mini in Peony Petal
This gloss has no stickiness to it, which is nice.  It is a little thick, but has good coverage and doesn't migrate to the outside of the lips or settle into the lines.  It has a weird scent, though, and I can't place it.  The other color option for Ipsy subscribers to received was Fuchsia Freesia, a bright pink.

The sample is 4g, and full sized is 8.5g for $16.  Sample worth $7.53.

Last, is a full-sized polish from Zoya.  I got "Dot" and the other option was "Odette"- a purple orchid color.

Add caption
As always, Zoya polishes come in a box and are 5-free.  This light pink color is really pretty!  Normally with pinks this light, there are coverage issues.  This went on easily, and had full, streak-free coverage with just two coats.


Zoya Dot
I probably have too man light pink polishes, but I don't care!  I'm happy to add another to my collection, especially one that covers so well.

Zoya polishes are $9 for 0.5 fl.oz and are sold on their site, and at Ulta.


February Ipsy

All together, this bag had a total value of $29.62.  This isn't the highest value ever, but it's not bad, especially for $10.  I didn't like the eyeshadow, and the cleanser isn't my thing, but I'm happy enough with the eyelashes, gloss, and nail polish that my money spent was worth it.  

Ipsy is $10 per month and you get sent 4-6 sample and full-sized beauty and makeup items in a little makeup bag.  They do their best to match you based on a survey.  They do have a point system for item reviews, but it is slow going!  Each item you review gets you 10 points, and each referral gets you 250.  You need 1000 points to get a bonus item.


Bonus: Beautyblender and Blendercleanser
Thanks to those of you who were kind enough to use my referral link, I was able to get a bonus item this month!  Many thanks to Caitlyn, Michelle, and Sarah!  I hope you have been enjoying your bags!

If you don't subscribe to Ipsy, please use my link here.  You may be able to skip the waitlist, they occasionally run a "share this link and we'll bump you up" promotion.


This post contains items paid for by me.  All thoughts and opinions are my own, and no special consideration or compensation was received.  This post contains a referral link, see above for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment