Friday, September 13, 2013

Ipsy Review September 2013


Ipsy September 2013



Woo! Ipsy time!

This month's theme is "Classic Beauty" and the bags included products to help you create your favorite classic looks.

Ipsy September 2013

This month everyone received a shade of NYX powder eyeshadow single.  I got ES29: Deep Charcoal.

NYX Eyeshadow in Deep Charcoal


This is a shimmery darker gray color, but is very buildable.  I was able to get a sheer layer, but also a true-to-pan swatch with another swipe of color.  I used my finger and no primer in the pictures below.

Cailyn and NYX Swatches


Full size, value $4.50


The next item that everyone got was another mascara.  We just got one last month, but at least this is sealed and I can keep it until needed.  

It's So Big Mascara from Elizabeth Mott

It's So Big Volumizing Mascara from Elizabeth Mott.  Claims to lengthen and curl your lashes, and last all day.

The full size is 10 mL and sells for $20.  Sample size 4mL, worth $8.



We also each got three other items, chosen based on our Ipsy profiles by Ipsy Match. Uh.. ok.  I would have liked the mini Butter London polish WAY BETTER than anything I got.  Oh well, win some, lose some.  Could have been worse!


Cailyn Tinted Lip Balm in Big Apple

Cailyn Tinted Lip Balm in Big Apple


This is packaged just like the Cailyn gel eyeliner I got in a previous bag.  The cap unscrews from the pot and there is a built-in brush.  I used my finger to apply this and now my finger is stained... I probably should have used the brush!

Cailyn Balm and included brush

Everyone got the same color, a bright blue-toned red that should be flattering on most skin tones.  I don't know what I'm going to do with all these red lip products I'm getting! I suppose I'm going to have to learn to rock the red lip.  This balm is more like a stain- it is on the dry side, but not drying, if you know what I mean.  It didn't rub off on my boyfriends cheek (he HATES when things don't pass that test! ;) and still feels pretty smooth on my lips without being sticky or slimy or anything.

This was the tiniest amount of product I could manage to apply- and it's STILL super red.
This was full-sized (3g) and sells for $19.



Starlooks Kohl Eye Pencil in Obsidian

Starlooks Kohl Eyeliner in Obsidian

Snore.  Another black eyeliner that is not my beloved UD24/7.  It's going in the giveaway drawer.  I'm sure it's great, but I have at least 3 UD liners in Zero and one in Perversion.  Not to mention my various black gel eyeliners that I have gotten in sub boxes.  I don't think I'll use them up any time soon anyway, as I mostly wear bright colors and not black.

Again, I think it's interesting that a makeup company with its own subscription box would partner with Ipsy.  It's probably a good move on their part, and at least a black eyeliner is generally going to be flattering on everyone- not like the lip liners they sent out that were odd colors.

This is full sized (2.4g) and sells for $12.



The final product(s) I got in my bag were three of the Freeman Beauty Paper Masks.
Freeman Beauty Paper Trio
I got one each in Starfruit (purifying), Rose (brightening), and Blue Agave (hydrating).  You smooth the mask on your face, wait 5-10 minutes, and then peel off.  I've never used a paper mask before and am interested to try it out!

These sell for about $1.99 each.  $5.97 for the three.


The other either/or items were: Butter London mini polish, Chella Ivory Lace Highlighter Pencil, J.Cat Beauty Fantabulous Lipstick, Jesse's Girl Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner, John Frieda Full Repair Shampoo, John Frieda Full Repair Conditioner, Pop Beauty Pouty Pop Crayon, Skyn Iceland Firming Eye Gels, or Victoria Jackson Taupe Brow Pencil.  

This month there was also a promotional insert for em by Michelle Phan (the new makeup line by Ipsy's founder).  It showed an actual size picture of the Life Palette (Career Life) and included some samples pressed onto the cardboard.  These always weird me out.  Anyway, they included a blush and 3 eyeshadows from the "look 4: natural talent" quadrant of this particular palette.  It says that the sample "is for evaluation of texture and aesthetic properties only"... whatever that is supposed to mean.  So, not enough for an actual application of the product, just enough to see the colors and feel what it feels like stamped on paper?  Thanks...  The colors give are ok, but nothing special.  A bunch of neutrals.

em by Michelle Phan sample


Total Value $49.47

This bag was decent.  I like the actual bag's print more than I thought I would after seeing it online.  Black eyeliner, mascara, and red lips are definitely classic looks, and the grey shadow would make for a nice smokey eye.  I'll probably use the face masks for a girls' night, since Ipsy was nice enough to include 3!  BB would have only given us one, I'm sure...  All in all, it's an acceptable bag.  I'm not absolutely in love with anything, but there aren't any duds.


If you want to sign up for Ipsy, you can use my link here.  I'll get 250 points for referring you.  It costs $10 per month, including shipping, and you get deluxe and full sized products.  It is a mostly makeup subscription with a few other beauty things thrown in every now and then.


No special consideration or compensation was received for this post and all thoughts and opinions are my own. All items mentioned within were paid for by me.

2 comments:

  1. I really like that red lip stain on you. I think you could totally pull off red lips. It makes your lips look full and pouty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I just don't have anywhere to wear it, even if I wanted to! I'll have to give some of my extras to you, I think you could pull it off better than I can.

      Delete