Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Birchbox December 2013

Birchbox Review December 2013

Sparkle and Shine! December 2013

Birchbox had cute holiday boxes this month.  I liked the box itself, but the contents were just mediocre.


Birchbox December 2013

I'm not sure what all of this has to do with a holiday theme, but look at the pretty inside of the box!


emily's Milk Chocolate Covered Fortune Cookie

I'll start with my least favorite item and get it over with.  I don't like fortune cookies and I don't like chocolate.  I know, I'm weird.  Take it up with my mother.  I'm sure this is interesting and tasty, and I hope there is a cheerful fortune inside.

$5.99 for a box of 7.  Each cookie worth $0.86.


Benta Berry G-1 Exfoliating Facial Cleanser

I received a Benta Berry facial lotion sample a few months ago, and at least now I have a matching set.  I might give this away (as a set), I might not.  I have a number of exfoliating face samples that I need to use up, and I seem to get them faster than I can finish them!  This smells like the lotion does; it's not unpleasant, but it is pretty strongly scented if you are sensitive to that kind of thing.

Full size $16 for 30 mL.  Sample is 3 mL, worth $1.60.



Number 4 Non Aerosol Hair Spray

I don't use hairspray, and I always seem to get different variations on the theme in these boxes.  Honestly, I might just take a break, but then again, I'd probably regret that the following month.  I will be able to find a home for this.  It has decent reviews.  I like the brand, I got a clarifying sulfate-free shampoo that is really nice in a previous box.  The smell is weird, though.  I read a lot of reviews saying how great it smells, but this hairspray smells like a public women's room's air freshener.  You know, the generic floral chemically smell.

Full size $30 for 6.7 fl. oz.  Sample is 1 fl. oz., worth $4.48.


Camilla Beckham Glycerine Hand Therapy- Midnight Monarch Scent

I have almost used up the body butter from last month, and was excited to see a replacement.  This has a VERY strong scent.  There is a lot of patchouli and amber in this and it is quite overwhelming.  I really wish it smelled like something different, because it is a really nice lotion.  It is true to claims that it absorbs fast and doesn't leave your skin greasy.  

Full size $4.99 for 1 oz.  Sample is 1/4 oz, worth $1.25.


Secret Agent Beauty Nourishing and Plumping Lip Gloss
in Foreign Intelligence Flirt

This is a pink gloss that uses peppermint oil, menthol, and sacha inchi oil to increase bloodflow to the lips, giving them a fuller appearance.  I really, really like this gloss.  It is absolutely not sticky, and has a very tiny applicator so that you don't end up squeezing out too much.  There is a definite tingle when this is used, but I didn't get to look in a mirror to see if it worked or not.  The scent is interesting- it has a fruity touch to it.

Full size 0.15 oz, $18. There isn't a size listed on this sample or the package it came in, so I will estimate it at 1/5 the size (0.03 oz).  Worth $3.60.


December 2013- Birchbox

All together, the only thing I really liked in this box was the lip gloss.  The hand cream would be nice if it didn't have such a strong fragrance, and the exfoliating wash would be nice if I didn't already have a number of them.  The box is pretty, too.  That's about all the nice things I have to say.


The total value of this month's Birchbox is about $11.79.  That is low.  And it feels even lower because I really only am happy with 1 item.  I've had some really great boxes, but lately they seem to be underwhelming.

Birchbox is $10 per month, including shipping.  You can also get 10 points for each product you review, and every 100 points gets you $10 to spend in the Birchbox shop.  The points I get each month make up for lackluster samples.  If you are interested in trying out Birchbox for yourself, please use my link here.  I will get 50 bb points for referring you.


All products reviewed in this post were purchased by me, and all thoughts and opinions are my own.  No special compensation or consideration was received for this post.  This post contains a referral link, see above for details.




No comments:

Post a Comment